The Talyllyn Railway in Wales opened in 1866 to transport slate from the quarries inland to the coast. It went on to become the first Parliament approved passenger route using steam power.
A fun fact about this railway is that it was the basis for Rev. Awdry’s well-known Thomas the Tank Engine series.
For more information on this era check out our:
US History PowerPoints
- First Industrial Revolution in America: 1790-1860
- Westward Movement
- Expansion and Reform: The United States from 1829-1860
- The West: Miners, Ranchers, Farmers, and Native Americans
- Rise of Industrial America, 1865-1900
- Response to Industrialism: Protest Movements, Unions, and the Agrarian Revolt
World History PowerPoints
Classroom History Games